Peck Slip has a long maritime history, serving as an East River slip used by boats to dock until 1810. In fact, Peck Slip once offered George Washington and his troops protection as they fled from the Battle of Brooklyn. More recently, it was used as a fish market parking lot until the Fulton Fish Market relocated to the Bronx in 2005.
In 2006, the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved a design for a park at Peck Slip that strikes a delicate compromise between a lush green park and a stone "piazza" more in keeping with the area's maritime past. The decision ended a year-long debate that reached an impasse in March when the Parks Department presented a design to Community Board 1 that called for a plaza meant to evoke a "ghost ship."
All of the posted information, including schedules and completion dates are based on the information provided by the project managers.