A Hurricane Sandy construction embargo has been extended
Due to cleanup and emergency operations associated with the impacts of Hurricane Sandy, the special citywide construction embargo has been extended through 6 a.m. on Saturday, December 1st for the downtown locations listed below.
During this timeframe, only emergency work may be performed provided an emergency number is received from the New York City Department of Transportation (DOT).
Please Note: For Emergency Permit numbers for street excavations or for utility cover openings please fax (718) 391-3631 or (718) 391-3405 from 7:30 a.m. to 3:25 p.m. Monday to Friday, or call the DOT Communications Center at (718) 433-3340 after 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. For procedures related to the placement of emergency generators, boilers and cranes please refer to “DOT Construction Permits Temporary Procedures Due to Hurricane Sandy – Amendment #4."
Hurricane-related repair work may also be performed.
Affected embargo areas include:
- FDR Drive, entire length
- West Street (9A) from West 59th Street to Battery Park Underpass
- Bowery/3rd Avenue from Chatham Square to East 60th Street
- All areas, citywide, located in Hurricane Flood Zone A
East River Bridges:
- Only single lane closures will be permitted from 12:01am to 5:00am Monday to Friday, and 12:01am to 7:00am Saturday and Sunday.
Ongoing Building Operations:
- Work may continue provided it does not interfere with utility work or other activities related to Hurricane Sandy recovery.
Work behind closed barriers:
- Work may continue behind closed barriers provided it does not impact on travel lanes or interefere with any ongoing construction activities related to Hurricane Sandy recovery.